|I'm convinced that Iraq has indeed become America's new "Vietnam". How so?
* The US is again fighting an enemy counting more on manipulating the US media in destroying American stamina and morale than in winning battles. They don't win any battles - they just win television sound-bite time. A very small minority has their (horrific) vision and hopes televised. Its once again looking like a good strategy.
* The US is fighting a proxy war with a foe being largely funded and provided arms by another country or countries. Such a war has the potential to go on indefinitely ala Vietnam.
* A liberal anti-war congress is once again looking to assure that American does not win, but rather decides to give up. They're putting more effort into fighting the President and the military than they're willing to put into fighting the enemy. And the enemy, noticing their actions, will only ratchet up their efforts - killing more Americans and Iraqi's (in ways to attract the most media attention). I believe this last fact is impossible to deny at this point. Congress is directly endangering American soldiers.
* Politics are dictating the war, resulting in ROE's dangerous for American soldiers (e.g. the Shia militia's have been largely left alone until recently and will probably never be disarmed and dismantled.)
* The US is unwilling to attack the source of the continuing problem at this point - Iran - just as they were for the most part unwilling to directly attack North Vietnam for most of the Vietnam war.
* Once again the US may simply pull out - abandoning people the US promised hope to. Its possible another million civilians could be killed - just like in Vietnam (although Saudi-Arabia has promised to intercede if this starts happening - talk about trouble...)
Its a proven formula the enemy is using. Its almost guaranteed to work. They know this and have told us so.
So I say - quit denying its another Vietnam because it is. I believe the liberal Democrats are trying to do their best to assure it is. They want another Vietnam, its in their power to assure such, and they're going to do it. They'll do anything in their power, at any cost, to attempt to shame Bush and the Republicans. They're determined to see their predictions come true.
So please tell me I've got it all wrong...