Rwanda: September 18, 2003


President Domitien Ndayizeye blamed the collapse of peace talks on a power-sharing deal proposed by regional mediators, claiming that it was too favorable to the main Hutu rebel group. Under the deal, the FDD (the biggest Hutu rebel group) would fill 40 percent of posts in the army, police and intelligence services, while the remaining 60 percent would be held by the Tutsi-oriented government and other groups.

Large numbers of Gendarmerie were deployed in the morning around strategic places across the capital to prevent the Uprona (the pro-Tutsi Union for National Progress) party from assembling and creating chaos. - Adam Geibel


Article Archive

Rwanda: Current 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 



Help Keep Us Soaring

We need your help! Our subscription base has slowly been dwindling. We need your help in reversing that trend. We would like to add 20 new subscribers this month.

Each month we count on your subscriptions or contributions. You can support us in the following ways:

  1. Make sure you spread the word about us. Two ways to do that are to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
  2. Subscribe to our daily newsletter. We’ll send the news to your email box, and you don’t have to come to the site unless you want to read columns or see photos.
  3. You can contribute to the health of StrategyPage. A contribution is not a donation that you can deduct at tax time, but a form of crowdfunding. We store none of your information when you contribute..
Subscribe   Contribute   Close