On June 3 A CAR government spokesman (Patasse regime) said that reports were accurate that Libyan troops were in the CAR and supporting the government. The spokesman also referred to alleged coup leader General Andre Kolingba as a "putschist. On June 5 the CAR government reported sporadic gunfire south of Bangui as mopping-up operations continued against mutineers who staged a coup on May 28. On June 6, a Central African Armed Forces (FACA) spokesman claimed that the capital of Bangui was completely under FACA (government) control. Rebels, however, were reported still active (retreating?) to the southwest of Bangui. Another FACA report says that 250 to 300 rebels have died in the fighting since the coup attempt. Some 50,000 refugees have reportedly fled the fighting. Most of the refugees are from Bangui. Many of the refugees fled in the direction of MBaiki (southwest of Bangui same direction the mutineers are retreating). On June 7, the Congolese Liberation Movement (MLC), the Ugandan-backed DRC rebel organization with close ties to the CAR government, said that it would pull its forces out of Bangui. The MLC now says it sent 700 troops into the CAR to help FACA fight the mutineers. One western news service, however, reported that MLC guerrillas had been seen looting shops and homes in Bangui. As it now stands, the May 28th coup is a total failure.