Forces: The Islamic Terrorist Gangs of Thailand

Archives

September 17, 2006: There are three groups of Islamic radicals in southern Thailand that comprise nearly all the active terrorists. These are: BRN-K (National Revolutionary Front - Co-ordinate, or Barisan Revolusi Nasional - Koordinasi), GMIP (Islamic Mujahideen Movement of Patani, or Gerakan Mujahideen Islam Patani) and PULO the Patani United Liberation Organization).
BRN-K is the largest, and best organized of the three, so the other two tend follow the big guy. BRN-K also has an extensive administrative organization, via the large number of Mosques and religious schools it controls. BRN-K has also spent years recruiting, indoctrinating, and training members. That's why mosques and schools are so important. The basic lesson taught is that Moslem and Malay (what most southern Thais are) is good, Thai and Buddhist (what most Thais are) is bad. BRN-K has also get its finances in order, having gotten thousands to supporters to make monthly donations (often only a dollar or two) to the cause. Drug and smuggling gangs have also been big contributors. This adds up because the BRN-K leaders not too corrupt, and the money does not disappear into their pockets. These resources have, over the past five years, enabled the BRN-K to form about 500 5-8 man cells (called RKK). BRN-K has provided from a few days, to several months, of training to at least one of the members of each cell. Each RKK unit is pretty independent, which makes it difficult for the police to get much useful information out of captured RKK members. Most of the RKK units are not very active, as there are only a hundred or so attacks a month. And in some cases, one RKK unit carries out several attacks a month. It's believed that only about 30 percent of the RKK cells are active. But the other 70 percent are still there, and still dangerous.
GMIP and PULO each appear to be less than a third the size of BRN-K, and are less active. So far, the three Islamic terrorist groups have managed to co-exist, and cooperate on some attacks. Many BRN-K members are also involved with criminal gangs. So despite the religious connections, many of the holy warriors make their livings with smuggling. Of course, that is seen as a respectable occupation in the south, unless drugs are involved. But a buck is a buck, and most smugglers will at least consider moving drugs across the border.

 


Article Archive

Forces: Current 2020 2019 2018 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 


X

ad
0
20

Help Keep Us Soaring

We need your help! Our subscription base has slowly been dwindling. We need your help in reversing that trend. We would like to add 20 new subscribers this month.

Each month we count on your subscriptions or contributions. You can support us in the following ways:

  1. Make sure you spread the word about us. Two ways to do that are to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
  2. Subscribe to our daily newsletter. We’ll send the news to your email box, and you don’t have to come to the site unless you want to read columns or see photos.
  3. You can contribute to the health of StrategyPage. A contribution is not a donation that you can deduct at tax time, but a form of crowdfunding. We store none of your information when you contribute..
Subscribe   Contribute   Close